Welcome to the inaugural edition of our newest feature here at the PPP Blog, the Saturday Garbage Plate! Those who follow us on Twitter are already hip to The Daily NOM, wherein we link to yummy vegan recipes – many (but not all; that would be nearly impossible, I’m afraid) involving pizza and pizza-related foodstuffs – that we’ve gathered from all corners of the internets and arranged on a pretty, happy platter for your gnoshing pleasure. Now, we don’t wanna strongarm y’all into following us on Twitter against your will or wevs, so every Saturday, we’ll post a recap of the week’s Daily NOM tweets right here on this space, for extra-easy convenience. (What can we say? We are people pleasers, through-and-through.) We also reserve the right to yip and yap about anything else that may have caught our attention throughout the week. Agreed?
Well, with that intro out of the way, behold: the Saturday Garbage Plate!
- First up: the aforementioned recap of all the stickyhot NOM action that went down in our corner of the Twitternets this week. (Be hot and follow us, kay?)
Sunday: French Bread Pizza from the Irreverent Vegan
Monday: Vegan Basil Pesto Pizza from The Opinioness of the World
Tuesday: White Pizza from (the über-adorable) Vegan Pandamonium
Wednesday: Vegan BBQ Tempeh Pizza from Bikya Masr
Thursday: Mushroom and Onion “Pizza” from Bok Choy Bohemia
Friday: The Pizza Burger from PETA UK (hello, International NOM!)
Saturday: Easy Vegan Tortilla Pizza (and a Workout Realization) from (the no doubt cheekily named) Eating Bird Food
- French photographers Jean-Louis Klein and Marie-Luce Hubert expose The Secret Life of Harvest Mice as Never Seen Before! And yes, it’s about as adorable as you’d expect. Check out the slideshow here.
- The ever-awesome Wing-It Vegan is back from hiatus, and in a big way: Halloweegan style! For those unfamiliar, Halloweegan is a month-long celebration of Halloween, as performed in vegan food. The pairing of Halloween and veganism is only fitting, if you think about it; the vegan set tends to lean towards religious unorthodoxy, heathenism included. Plus, we loves our vegan eats; not only do we enjoy consuming vegan food, but there’s also the joy of creating, discovering, discussing, fantasizing about, obsessing upon, and even playing with cruelty-free food to tickle our fancies. Show me a vegan and I’ll show you someone who appreciates a good (and good-looking) NOM.
Case in point: Wing-It Vegan. What with her Chocolate Witches’ Hats, Eyeball Cupcakes and Spooky Pancakes, you might call her the High Priestess of Halloweegan. Don’t believe me? Get a load of her past Halloweegan creations, join her newly-minted Halloweegan Flickr group, or join her in observing Halloweegan at wingitvegan.blogspot.com. She will not disappoint! In fact, she’ll make you salivate. All over your keyboard. So wrap it in plastic, is what I’m saying.
- Last week marked the first day of fall, and you know what that means – the start of a new school year. Writing at the IDA Blog, Annie Judah-Shannon offers a four-step plan for getting healthy, vegan options into your (or your child’s) school cafeteria: Veganize A School Cafeteria Near You in 4 Easy Steps! The short version? Agave nectar and reams of research, people.
- Speaking of healthy school lunch options, please join Elizabeth Kucinich and the PCRM in asking Congress to support the Healthy School Meals Act. Pretty please with So Delicious on top?
- Last but not least, we have two – count ‘em, two! – new vegan eateries opening on the east and west coasts this week: Blackbird Pizzeria (a, duh, pizza parlor!) and No Worries (Filipino Vegan Cuisine, represent!), respectively. If you find yourself in Philadelphia or Oakland, be cool and patronize these fine dining establishments, mkay?
- Okay, I lied.
Rescue dogs! In a music video! That ends with a pro-adoption PSA! By OK Go! How shiny is that? (Answer: Terribly.)